The building of the cathedral started in 11th century (1093), but was razed to the grounds by the tatars in 1242.
In the 17th century, a fortified renaissance watchtower was erected on the south side, and was used as a military observation point, because of the Turkish threat.
In 1880, the cathedral was severely damaged in an earthquake. The main nave collapsed and the tower was damaged beyond repair. The restoration of the cathedral in the neogothic style was made by Hermann Bollé, bringing the cathedral to its present form